Salad Bar Parenting: A buffet of ideas, practices and products loved by a Motherhood Collective Mom. Depending on your season of parenthood or mothering philosophies, you may pile on what works for you or pass the salad tongs to the next Mom. I'm a cloth diapering mama. I cloth diaper for financial reasons and I love it. A few months ago my baby girl got a diaper rash and I tried a handful of different creams and products on her bottom with no success. I even switched to disposables temporarily and while that helped clear the redness, nothing cleared up the rash entirely. After receiving a number of recommendations, I finally decided to give coconut oil a chance.
Let me clarify that just because I cloth diaper and generally prefer natural solutions, I know there is a time and place for man-made products. Being the real American that I am, I prefer immediate relief from discomfort for both me and my child that over the counter creams and medicines provide. I tried a lot of those products (at the recommendation of my pediatrician) and none of them worked. So, like I said, I finally gave coconut oil a try.
After one day my girl's bottom was completely clear. Over 2 months of a diaper rash with trial and error and the answer was in a friend's pantry the entire time?! Who knew!
After I saw the incredible change coconut oil made on my babe's bottom I decided to do a little research. Did you know coconut oil is very good for you, 100% natural and has a TON of great uses? As I type this I currently have a coconut oil + baking soda combination on my face as an exfoliating mask. (Oh the benefits of working from home!) Here are a few other great ways to use coconut oil:
- Eat a spoonful when you need an energy boost.
- Use it to treat athlete's foot, ringworm, or other fungal or yeast infections.
- Use it on your baby's cradle cap.
- Use it to help reduce visibility of stretch marks or to prevent stretch marks.
- For nursing mothers, consuming coconut oil will help increase your milk flow.
- Eat a spoonful to improve digestion, help with heartburn, help overall immune function, or curb your appetite.
- Helps treat thrush.
- Mix with baking soda for a facial scrub.
- Whip in your mixer for a fluffy body moisturizer that stays soft year round.
- Use it to treat lice.
- Use it as a natural sunscreen.
The uses are endless! I am definitely a new believer in coconut oil and I plan to use it for the rest of my life.
Do you use and love coconut oil? Please share with us in the comments!