- Can I call you day or night?
- Who is the Physician that covers on call when you are not available?
- What are your available office hours? What's your weekend availability?
- What situations deem that I go straight to the emergency room?
- Do you have a "well child" and a "sick child" waiting room?
- How much do you charge for an office visit? How about rechecks?
- How much do you charge for routine vaccinations?
- How far in advance must I schedule an appointment?
- How long will I be kept waiting to see you on an average basis?
- What are your views on breastfeeding? Bottlefeeding?
A physician's personality and style will probably rank as high in importance as his or her availability and affordability. Your personal preferences and instincts will weigh heavily in your choice.
I recommend you interview two to three pediatricians before making a choice. For referrals, speak to your primary care provider, a childbirth educator or ask family and friends.